Thursday 29 January 2015

‘Instead of being a lawyer, I end up being a rapper’ – Meet Omoba, Exclusive Interview To TTK

Meet Omoba the talented upcoming artist every Nigeria artist should watch out for.  Omoba is a Nigeria artist resident and currently making waves in Canada.  Please read this exclusive interview available to TTK.
TTK: How old are you?
Omoba: Really! I thought we are just going to talk about music. Laugh, does age really has anything to do with music? But if you insist, I'll say I'm over thirty years.


TTK: What is your real name not stage name?
Omoba: My real name is Ololade Musa


TTK: Why ‘Omoba’? Re you from a royal family?  If so where? Which Town?
Omoba: Omooba is not just a stage name, I'm from a royal family from Ijebu Igbo in Ogun State, Nigeria.


TTK: What part of Nigeria are you from?    
Omoba: I'm from Ijebu Igbo in Ijebu North Local Government Area of Ogun State, Nigeria


TTK: How was growing up like?
Omoba: Growing up was so tough and rough. I was born and raised in Lagos. I spent over 20 years in Shomolu/Bariga and Ogba before moving to Canada. I attended both primary and secondary schools in Lagos and I even attended University of Lagos briefly before travelling out of the country. 


Bariga was a completely different place compare to the two other places. I developed interest in music at Apelehin Bariga when I was like 16 years. We have a lot of Fuji artistes in my area back then, one of them was our family friend, whenever he is doing practice at night, I always back him up. That was how I started, then at age 22, I started singing in the choir at the Redeemed Christian Church of God, the rest is now history.


TTK: How long have you been living in Canada?
Well, I have being living in Canada for over 10 years and I'm enjoying it.


TTK: Are you studying?
I'm not in school right now but I really love school. I'm what people will call a book worm, I love doing presentations and writing research papers and I think that is why songs writing is easy for me. I will be going back to school for my MBA soon.


TTK: What made you go into Music?
Venturing into music is not something that I planned, it is destiny and it is the biggest risk I have ever taken. Even though I love doing music, I never wanted to take music as a career. I left music completely for almost 8 years but in my third year at the university in Manitoba Canada, my musical aspiration resurfaced, so I had no choice than to accept my destiny. My plan was to do my LLB/MBA after my degree programme and be in a top management position at a reputable company. But my music aspiration sabotaged my educational dream, instead of being a lawyer, I end up being a rapper.

TTK: What is the Name of your Album?
My album is called MADE IN CANADA, it is a 16 tracks album. We finished the album in September 2014, we are just waiting for the perfect time to release it. It should be in the market before summer.


TTK: Why do you name your album “MADE IN CANADA”
Because the album was produced in Canada, laugh, just kidding. You see, MADE IN CANADA means a lot, it is not just about my music career, even as a person I can say Canada made me. For example, it was when I got to Canada that I was able to have my Business Administration/Political Science degree. That is actually where "Made in Canada" came from. MADE IN CANADA as my album title is just a way of saying I'm made in Canada; I made it in Canada; I accomplished my musical goals in Canada; and Canada is where I realised my dreams.


TTK: How do we classify your music? Is it Fuji? Juju? Gospel? Etc
Generally, people call my kind of music Hip hop but for me, I will call it Afro Hip hop


TTK: How soon do we expect a musical video release from you?
I'm working on some of my music videos and before the end of this year I should be able to release at least 3 of them. God's willing, my first music video will be released this summer.


TTK: What are the challenges you encountered in making the album?
Making my album was not easy at all, I have to work with a music producer that don't even understand my language. He is a white guy and most of the time I sing in Yoruba, so it was really hard for him. But since I'm also knowledgeable about music production, so I always help him set the tone for the music. Most of the time, I have to create the melodies then he will take it up from there. 


So far I really enjoyed working with him, I can say he is the best in Toronto. Another problem is getting people to back me up in the studio, if you ask some people, they would say, "Oh I'm sorry I can't do hip hop, if it is gospel music, I will do it." Some people will even promise to come but they won't show up at the studio. And you know once you pay for a studio time you can't get your money back. Making an album requires huge amount of money, now I see why many independent artistes can even think of doing an album, it is expensive and if you are not sure of yourself, you dare not try it.
TTK: What are the challenges you face as a Nigeria singer living in the diarspora?
As an artiste living outside Nigeria, it is really hard to break into the Nigerian music market. You have new artistes emerging everyday and even the old ones are not relenting on their efforts to maintain their positions in the industry. Having said that, I believe the Nigerian music industry still has a lot of niches and that is exactly what Omooba is taking advantage of. I'm a good songwriter, I have a unique voice, my style is totally different, and I will always be myself, that is what set me apart from the crowd. When you look at the industry, you see that everybody is just copying each other, they are doing the same thing, refurbished instrumentals and fabricated styles. So if you do something different and meaningful, you will make it.

TTK: Any plan on touring or having a concert outside Canada?
Yes, I will be doing a lot of concerts before and after the release of my album. Since the album is going to be marketed in Nigeria, I will be touring some states in Nigeria and I will also be performing at concerts. After that, then I will focus on other countries.


TTK: Who inspire you?
My family are my source of inspiration, and I have couple of friends who also inspire me.


TTK: What inspire you?
I get my inspiration from things that are happening around me, be it politics, love affairs, true stories, TV commercials, news, movies etc. If I see or hear something that I like, I will just turn it into a song. Sometimes, I just write my songs based on my imaginations.


TTK: Best Musician?
I have a lot of them - Akon, Rick Ross, Rihanna, Beyonce, 2Face, 9ice, Adewale Ayuba, Sefiu Alao etc.


TTK: Do you watch Nollywood movies?
Yes, I love Nollywood movies both English and Yoruba


TTK: If so, who is your favourite actor/actress?
This is going to be a long list, I like Funke Akindele, Desmond Elliot, Omotola Ekeinde, Mercy Johnson, Osofia, Sanyeri, Ojo Opagogo, Odunlade Adekola, Iyabo Ojo, Mercy Aigbe, and Laide Bakare.


TTK: Best Food?
Beans and plantain


TTK: Any plans of relocating to Nigeria due to Music career?
No one knows what the future holds. Nigeria is a great country but due to poor leadership the country is unable to maximize its potentials. I can live in Nigeria anytime any day, musical career or not, it is my country. Anyway, I do have some messages for our leaders in my album, the song is called "God Bless Nigeria." Nigerians need to listen to the song, it is the summary of my analysis of Nigeria socio-economic, and political situations from 1999 to date. I just pray that God delivers us from all the political juggernauts that we have in Nigeria.


TTK: Are you Single? Married?
Sorry ladies, I'm taken


TTK: What are the qualities you look for in a lady?
My kind of woman would be someone who loves African culture, she must be honest, open minded, fashionable, intelligent and most importantly must be very hot. Laugh!


TTK: (Laugh) Any Kids?
Yes, I have a 7 years old daughter


TTK: Any siblings? If yes how many? & what position re you?
I was born into a family of eight, I'm in the fifth position.


TTK: Where are your parents?
My parent are doing well, they are in Nigeria


TTK: Happiest day so far?
For me, everyday is like Christmas but I will say the most memorable day was the day I got my Canadian Visa, it was like yesterday, I wonder how time flies. That is definitely one day I will never forget in my life.


TTK: Most Embarrassing moment?
I have many of such moments, let me share this with you, it happened in 2005. I was in a club with my girl (she is white), these three white girls just walked down to my seat and one them said, "Can I kiss you please? I said why? She said, "Please, I've never kiss a black guy before, I just see that you're cute, I'll always remember you all my life." I said, "Ok, sure" (I can't say no simply because she is really beautiful). Then we had a tongue to tongue kiss right there. After that, the second girl was like, "can you kiss too, please?" before I say anything, my girl just showed up from nowhere and pushed her away and started kissing me. I felt so embarrassed that I left the club and went home.

1 comment:

  1. LET SEE D STUFF YOU RE MADE OF OMO KING.

    ReplyDelete