Thursday 29 May 2014

Interview!!!! N10,000 Capital Business Becomes World Class

Eseoghene Odiete, Chief Executive Officer Hesey Designs, used the internet to change lives and grow her business, making her one of the winners of Google Africa Connected Competition alongside a N4 million reward. In this interview, reveals to RONKE SANYA, how she took a N10,000 capital business to become world class.


How were you able to use Google Search and YouTube to learn how to create handbags?
As a young entrepreneur, starting up was difficult. I started after the university and didn’t have an idea of how to go about running a fashion label. So I read up a lot of articles and business management books from the Internet. Books and articles on how to start and run a fashion label especially with little funds. I watched several bag production videos on Youtube and I used to follow, made a few errors and got better.

After creating the first set of products, selling them became an issue. So I searched for different fashion blogs and sent each of them a mail about my designs. The response was unbelievable and I was in business.

Today, not only is the business growing fast within Nigeria, I am currently receiving and processing orders from different countries.

How does it feel like being among the top five finalists of the Africa Connected success story contest?It’s really amazing; I’m still excited and grateful for the opportunity to be recognised by Google. It is also a motivation to improve myself and my business and impact more lives positively

How and when did you develop the passion for making handmade bags and shoes? What gave birth to Hesey designs and how much was your starting capital?  I have always been intrigued by the fashion industry, even as a child and have always wanted to build a fashion brand, that would promote the Nigerian economy. I passionately believe that trade not aid is key for Africa’s development. I decided to set up a fashion brand with a mission to promote Nigeria and Africa, so Hesey Designs was born and I started the business with my savings of about N10,000. I produced a few bags, sold them and used the money to produce more.
Who is an ideal entrepreneur?An ideal entrepreneur? Well, I will say that as an entrepreneur, must be passionate, a goal-getter, a planner, never afraid to fail, be able to take risk, always open to new ideas, very knowledgeable especially about your field, you must be versatile because at the early stage of your business, you most likely would manage every aspect of your business.

You once worked in a bank during your service year, why didn’t you stick with banking? Banking was never my thing; it was the best option I had at that time far away in Maiduguri, Borno State. I had a bigger vision and I had to follow through.

Challenges you faced when you started your business  First was fund. I had to make do with the little savings I had and grew from there. Also getting the products out. I couldn’t afford a store, so I made use of the Internet. I sent emails to several fashion sites requesting that they feature my designs. I knew I had a great product but I needed to be known. So many of them featured the product with my contact. A lot of people started contacting me requesting for the product.

What kept you going? My vision; I had the end in mind. I knew what I wanted to accomplish and nothing was going to stop me. I knew things may not be the way I wanted it now, but things were sure getting better. At times when I felt bad and wanted to give up, I always remember why I started, looked at how far I have come and remember where I am going. In about 22 months, what many people considered a hobby has become my greatest gift. I have grown a N10,000 business idea to one that can support families, to one that has impacted over 40 women; to one that has been recognised by great women. Bizwatchng named me one of 40 Nigerians entrepreneurs under 40. So when in doubt, I simply play all these images in my head and I realise that giving up is not an option anymore.

How did you spend the $25,000 you won from the Africa connected contest? Well, the money will be invested into the businesss. For the brand and also for the women empowerment centre. With the funds, we will be able to accommodate more women in the centre and also take our business to the next level.

Are the materials used in making your products sourced for locally?Yes, Hesey designs products are made from finest materials sourced from our local markets in Mushin, Oshodi and Aba. We also work with local craftsmen which is in line with our vision of promoting our economy.

How many people have benefitted from your trainings so far?  So far we have worked with over 40 women and equipped them with the necessary skills needed to create beautiful, authentic African items that can set them up as entrepreneurs. These women have gone out to set up their own small businesses and doing pretty amazing things.

What was the reaction of your parents when you chose making hand- made bags?  Parents always want the best for their children. They felt bag making was not the best for me. Although all that is in the past now; they are extremely proud of their baby now.

Can you remember what your first design was and how much you sold it?  It was a multi-coloured bag made from Da Viva fabric. People still request for the bag now. I sold it for N4,000 at that time.

How was growing up like. Tell us about your younger days?  I am the last of five children, so I think I grew up pretty fast having so many older siblings. My parents believed in education, so they did their best to give us good education. I have always been a smart child, I was always top in my class and I was the best Art student from secondary school. I was sports prefect, a long distance runner. I think all these were experiences that helped me now as an entrepreneur.

Advice for young, up- and -coming entrepreneurs The internet and Google products have provided you with all the resources you need to run a business. The government and corporate organisations are supporting small business with the necessary funds to take their businesses to another level. You don’t have excuses not to succeed anymore. All you need now is the passion and determination to follow through.

Plans for the future We see Hesey Designs becoming an internationally recognised brand with outlets in different countries. We are looking to expand; increase sales, empower more people and get closer to our vision.

4 comments: